The backpack is inspired from the Easy Beach Bag design on the Martha Stewart website, but I made it a bit more finished looking. In the Martha Stewart version, there are unfinished raw edges of fabric, which I don't really like as they are prone to wearing and unravelling.
I wanted to create a backpack that was inspired from a blog julie-k. She made a backpack for her little girl for back to school with a design and denim on the outside.
The backpack turned out cute enough, but I think the cording was not slippery enough or my channels for the cord are too small? Well. It looks good. :) I would try this pattern again and maybe make the channels for the cords larger or use different cording something a bit more slippery.
Link to Martha Stewart's Easy Backpack:
Link to Julie-K's website:
The baby quilt is a spin on a traditional log cabin. The only difference is that the middle is a rectangle instead of a square so that the finished quilt is rectangular. This quilt was inspired by another Martha Stewart project a seersucker baby quilt.
The previous time I made a baby quilt I used 2 1/2 inch strips (2 inch strip with 1/4 inch seam on each side), but it was a bit too much work to make even an small baby blanket so this time I decided to use 4 1/2 inch strips (4 inch strip with 1/4 inch seam on each side.
I had to do a bit of math to make sure my finished quilt would be a desirable size. I have to say that I really love making quilts in this manner. They come together so much faster, because you do all of your cutting at the beginning with strips for fabric and then just keep adding to the quilt until the desired size is achieved.
The center rectangle was a 4 1/2 inch by 10 1/2 inch.
Link to Seersucker Baby Blanket:
Yay! These projects are using up my fabric stash. The baby blanket used up a lot of flannel. :)